Monday, October 26, 2009

To market, to market…

I return to the world with a little more brain space after weeks of preparation for my children’s annual Spring Fair which was last Saturday. It was a perfect day and my 9 year son and I shared a stall. (Sorry – no photos as I left the camera at home) He had made boats from pine, which he cut out, sanded and oiled. I made the sails from lots of bright scraps. He laid them out on a blue cloth and they looked great. He sold all 18 and was very pleased with his fundraising efforts (going to his lego fund and NOT the school!) I had made some tops, covered notebooks, sock monkeys, hairclips and made a little money to help pay for these….

IMG_5081

When my DH came home and told me how great the Australian dollar was doing against the $ U.S., two weeks ago, I knew that was his way of telling me that it was time to make some fabric purchases! I’ve been trying to balance out my fabric collection by buying some light fabrics and I couldn’t resist these pink yellow and browns from the Fabric Bee. I love that we live in such a connected and well serviced world. A week after ordering them they were in my letterbox. They have now been placed in my new fat quarter storage unit…


IMG_5083

Yes, another antique suitcase, but in slightly better condition that the hat box. It really lends itself to the pinks and browns and reproduction prints, but I’ll put my brights in there too to keep up with the times. I need to refold them all to fit three rows in… may not happen!

TODAY… as I was sitting in my from room attempting to drink a cup of teas while it was still hot, the postman came to my door. With a parcel from the U.S. which had “VARIOUS CUTS OF COTTON FABRIC” on the packing slip. OHHHHH…. AAHHH!!

Put down tea……

Clear space on still cluttered table recovering from Spring Fair….

Breathe….

Hold breath while ripping……

 

 IMG_5082

 

I thought I’d buy myself a Christmas present for someone to give me (my DH has told me that if I don’t come up with an idea, I may not got one) as I want to make a quilt for ME! And when I saw Moda’s 1974 by Urban Chik’s, I decided that could be it. I was born in 1974 and I loved the green/blue tones in this range. I was very thankful when I saw Quiltersbiz had the fabrics at such a good price. So a jelly roll, some green for backing, red for binding, yellow just because… and a charm pack from elsewhere will hopefully add up to a new quilt some time soon! Do I have to wait until Christmas… after such a successful stall at the Fair I might have to keep these out for now… Oh dear….

 

A could always order some more for Christmas – I hear the exchange rate is still quite good!!

 

Happy Stitching to you all!!

 

Katherine

 

3 comments:

Janellybelly said...

Yummy fabrics Katherine, & I LOVE their storage unit too. Glad to hear the market went well, big congrats to Josh for selling all his boats!
Love Janelle xx

Unknown said...

Katherine , what a lovely cheerful post . I love the green fabric for backing . Sew away the $ is supposed to be even stronger next week !

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Like you Katherine, I'm taking advantage of the good exchange rate for the US $ but oh dear... the postage still hurts!!

Love your fabrics.
Hugs ~ Kerryanne